PENS support in Rustici Engine
Here’s what you’ll need in order to tap into PENS in Rustici Engine:
- Rustici SCORM Engine 2010 or later
- A software developer
- Your PENS endpoints (where authoring tools can send PENS commands, see below)
- A PENS conformant authoring tool that wants to publish directly to your LMS (if the authoring tool needs help, send them here.)
- The desire to make your LMS easier to use
- Our email, in case you have questions
1. Receive initial PENS command
The authoring tool that will be publishing to your LMS will have their content on a staging server, ready for you to grab it. Just tell the authoring tool to send their HTTP commands to your PENS endpoint.
2. Download content from staging server
When Rustici Engine receives the HTTP command to download content from the staging server, it does so, and delivers content directly into your LMS. Engine takes care of the conversations that need to happen between your LMS and the authoring tool.
3. Wrapping it up
Though PENS doesn’t specify what should be done with the content after download, practically this will mean processing or importing the content into your system. Any number of alert messages will be sent, (again, in the form of an HTTP command or a “mailto:” link) to let the authoring tool know what steps Engine has taken in processing the content, or any errors that have happened along the way.
Using Rustici Engine makes a PENS implementation pretty straightforward. There are a lot of customizations that you can make to your PENS implementation, and we’d be happy to discuss specifics with you. Just email us here.